According to the Amen Clinics, a good night of sleep is essential for good physical and mental health. Loss a few hours of sleep one night and the following day will be miserable for you and everyone around you. Loss of sleep makes us irritable and feel terrible. If the loss of sleep continues, it can lead to lower IQ and obesity, plus a variety of other health problems. Use these tips for falling asleep faster and staying asleep longer so you can look and feel your best.
* Make your bedroom comfortable. No noise, no lights and cool temperature.
* Don’t drink alcohol before going to bed.
* Drink a glass of warm milk just before bedtime.
* Get a few minutes of sun exposure early in the day to keep your internal clock on track.
* Don’t use cell phone as alarm clock. Texting and calling is too tempting.
* Stretch and breath deeply before or after lying down to relax the muscles and release stress.
* Count backwards from 100 to occupy your mind and let go of the thoughts of the day.
* Get out of bed if you can’t sleep. Lying there wide awake causes you to be stressed, which further delays sleep.
* Move the alarm clock away from you so you won’t be able to watch the clock and stress out over how late it is getting.